SEC Men’s Golfers of the Week – March 3,2021.
MEN’S GOLFER OF THE WEEK
Jackson Suber, Ole Miss
LSU Invitational // -5 (71-69-71-211) // 1st
- Earned medalist honors at the LSU Invitational, his second straight win after ending the fall as co-medalist of the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate
- Finished 5-under for the tournament and was the only player in the field to shoot under par all three rounds
- Led the 90-player field in birdies, recording 14 throughout the 54-hole tournament
- Paced the field in par 5 scoring over three rounds (-7)
- Defeated seven of the top 15 golfers in the country according to Golfstat’s rankings
- Stood atop the leaderboard in the tournament that featured 12 SEC schools
Dan Erickson, Texas A&M
- Aggie “super” senior Dan Erickson eagled his final hole to force a playoff and then out-dueled Hunter Ostrom of Texas for the win with a par on the second playoff hole.
- Erickson was 4-under with rounds of 71-70-71 on the par 72 Laredo Country Club
- It was the second career tournament win for Erickson, who also won the Louisiana Classics in 2018.
- Heading into his final hole (which was the first hole due to the shotgun start), Erickson saw that he was two shots off the leader. After a solid drive on the 584-yard par five, Erickson used a three wood from 266 yards to get within six feet of the flag. Erickson converted the six-footer to force the playoff.
- Erickson’s victory helped the Aggies win the Border Olympics, which included Texas and Baylor in its field.
MEN’S FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Tyler Wilkes, Florida
- Wilkes carded his career-best finish for the second tournament in a row, after previously setting it at the Gators Invitational (T18). He joined teammates Yuxin Lin and John DuBois as the highest finisher for the Gators at the LSU Invitational.
- Finished tied for 15th, the best finish of his collegiate career.
- Was one of only 13 golfers to record a score even or below par in the final round of competition.
- Was sixth in the field of 90 in making par (38)